Human Rights Film NetworkHuman Rights Film Network (HRFN), a network of human rights film festivals around the world.
Films and videos are now an integral part – or even crucial feature – of activism, education, political appeals and the sharing of similar personal experiences from regions that would otherwise be very far away. The success of a number of feature films and documentaries with human rights themes is also evidence of the need for the general public to find out about social and political issues outside of a simple news-reporting context.
Consequently, new human rights festivals are being established every year and there are a growing number of thematic categories and special awards devoted to human rights at important international film festivals.
Human Rights Film Network aims to assist the activities of individual festivals and create new platforms for common projects. Besides promoting the distribution of films with human rights themes at festivals as well as on Internet platforms, television stations and at educational institutions, HRFN strives to help nascent festivals and create a supportive environment for filmmakers, particularly those who risk their lives to make movies or are stifled by censorship.
The network supports the activities of individual festivals and creates new platforms and joint projects. It promotes the distribution of films with human rights themes at festivals worldwide. It also assists the establishment of new festivals. As such, the network creates an international supportive environment of human rights films and filmmakers.
- Argentina, Buenos Aires: Festival Internacional de Cine de Derecho Humanos
- Australia, travelling: The Human Rights Arts and Film Festival
- Austria, Vienna: This Human World
- Bahrain, Manama: Bahrain Human Rights International FF
- Belgium, Brussels: Festival des Libertés
- Bolivia, Sucre: Festival de Cine y Video de los Derechos Humanos "Bolivia, El Séptimo Ojo es Tuyo"
- Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo: Pravo Ljudski
- Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou: Festival Ciné Droit Libre
- Canada, Montreal: Montreal Human Rights FF
- Canada, travelling: Amnesty International Travelling FF
- Czech Republic, Prague: One World
- Ethiopia, Addis Ababa: Addis International FF
- France, Paris: Festival du Film des Droits de l'homme
- Germany, Nuremberg: Nuremberg International Human Rights FF
- Hungary, Budapest: Verzio Documentary FF
- India, New Delhi: Persistence Resistance
- Italy, Bologna: Human Rights Nights
- Italy, Naples: Cinema e Diritti
- Japan, Tokyo: Refugee Film Festival
- Lithuania, Vilnius: Ad Hoc: Inconvenient Films
- The Netherlands, The Hague: Movies that Matter Festival
- New Zealand, travelling: Human Rights Film Festival
- Papua New Guinea, Port Moresby: Papua New Guinea Human Rights FF
- Poland, Warsaw: Watch Docs Human Rights in Film IFF
- Scotland, Glasgow: Document – International Human Rights Documentary FF
- Serbia, Belgrade: Free Zone, Belgrade Human Rights FF
- South Africa, Johannesburg; Argentina, Buenos Aires; India, Bombay: Tri Continental FF
- South Korea, Seoul: Seoul Human Rights FF
- Spain, San Sebastian: Festival de Cine y Derechos Humanos
- Switzerland, Geneva: Festival International du Film et Forum sur les Droits Humains
- Ukraine, Kiev: Docudays: Human Rights Documentary Days FF
- USA & UK, New York/London: Human Rights Watch International FF
- USA, Burlington: Vermont International FF